What is a Postpartum Doula?
Join Om Baby in this ODIS (Organization for Doulas in Sweden) approved four day comprehensive Postpartum Doula training. A Postpartum Doula is usually a woman that supports the new parents and infant or infants in the postpartum period or fourth trimester. The Fourth Trimester refers to the first 12 weeks after birth where the baby transitions from womb to world and the new parents transition into care of their tiny babe. The Postpartum Doula comes to the home and helps with feeding, healing in the postpartum period, sleep, light housekeeping, light cooking, and emotional support during this transition. Included in the class is certification in Infant CPR as well as unlimited mentoring with Lori.
- Full Attendance of Course
- Read required material
- 3 Postpartum Doula Client Reviews
- Short (1-2 page) Essay on Postpartum Doula experience
Highlights of the Training:
- Postpartum Doula Role & Scope of Practice
- The Business of a Doula
- The Art of a Referral
- Anatomy & Physiology of the Postpartum Period
- Postpartum Healing
- AWHONN Post Birth Warning Signs
- Perinatal Mood & Anxiety Disorders
- The Newborn Period & Transition
- Newborn Tests
- Newborn Care & Safety
- Infant CPR
- Infant Massage
- The Special Needs Infant
- Support After Loss
Books can be purchased via Amazon or Book Depository which usually offer free shipping. There is also the option to purchase audio books.
- Pregnancy Childbirth and the Newborn, 5th edition by Penny Simkin, Janet Whallet, et al. (2016)
- The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding, Wiessinger and West (2010)
- Breastfeeding Made Simple, Morbacher and Kendall-Tackett (2010)
- Mothering the Mother, Plackin (2000)
- The Wonder Weeks, Plooij (2013)
- The Fourth Trimester, Johnson (2017)
About the Instructor
Lori, founder of Doulas of Gothenburg and Om Baby & Wellness, Sweden, is a Registered Nurse in both the U.S. and Sweden with nearly 20 years of experience in Newborn Intensive Care and Postpartum (BB) nursing. She is also a DONA & ODIS trained doula and and IBCLC (International Board Certified Lactation Consultant). She writes regularly for AWHONN (Association of Women’s Health, Obstetric, and Neonatal Nurses) and American Nurse Today. She is a 200 hour Yoga Alliance Certified Yoga Teacher, a Certified Prenatal (Gravidyoga) and Postnatal Yoga Teacher, Pediatric CPR (HLR) Instructor, and a member of ICEA (International Childbirth Educators Association). Her passion is teaching new parents about their babies and supporting them in the process of becoming a family.
Place: Gothenburg, Sweden
Date: Block One -March 4th & 5th, Block 2-April 29th & 30th 2023
Price: 8000 kr
Language: English only
Please note that booking is binding and a 3000 kr deposit is due upon booking. Any cancellation results in retention of deposit. In the event of student illness, the course can be made up within one year. In the event of instructor illness, the course will be fully refunded.